Reading at St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School
At St Joseph’s we aim for all our children to become fluent, confident readers who are passionate about reading.
Children who read regularly or are read to regularly have the opportunity to open the doors to so many different worlds! More importantly, reading will give your child the tools to become independent life-long learners.
We can achieve this together through:
- Read Write Inc, a program to help to your child read at school
- Encouraging children to develop a love of books by reading to them daily, at home and at school
- Giving children access to a wide range of books at school and at home
Talk For Writing
We want to help all our children develop into thoughtful readers and creative writers and it is through the Talk for Writing approach that we believe we can achieve this. Through its multi-sensory and interactive teaching it enables children of all ages and abilities to learn to write a wide range of story/text types using various methods including:
- listening to and learning texts and stories;
- taking part in drama and role-play;
- drawing and story mapping;
- collecting words and language strategies
- building their working knowledge of grammar.
Please look at the list of links we have provided that highlight Ashley Booth's recommended 100 books that children should read before they leave primary school. It has been broken down into KS1, KS2 - Years 3/4 and Years 5/6.
With thanks to Ashley Booth at https://theteachingbooth.wordpress.com/ who put them together.